The Board of the Academy of Finland has appointed a new Finnish Research Infrastructure Committee to serve from 29 February 2016 to 30 June 2019.
The Finnish Research Infrastructure Committee, or FIRI Committee, at the Academy of Finland monitors and develops Finnish and international research infrastructure activities. The FIRI Committee also submits proposals to the Academy Board on long-term research infrastructure plans, selects projects to be funded in Finland and monitors the projects. The Committee also takes care of other infrastructure tasks as assigned to it by the Academy Board.
The Committee is chaired by Executive Director Riitta Maijala from the Academy of Finland. The vice chair is Counsellor of Education Erja Heikkinen from the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture.
The committee members are as follows:
- Professor Paula Eerola, University of Helsinki
- Director General Juhani Eskola, National Institute for Health and Welfare
- Rector Mikko Hupa, Åbo Akademi University
- Vice Rector Keijo Hämäläinen, Universities Finland UNIFI, University of Helsinki
- Director General Lea Kauppi, Finnish Environment Institute
- Ministerial Adviser Pirjo Kutinlahti, Ministry of Employment and the Economy
- Rector Liisa Laakso, University of Tampere
- Rector Markku Lahtinen, Rectors’ Conference of Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences (ARENE), Tampere Polytechnic
- Director Ilona Lundström, Tekes – Finnish Funding Agency for Innovation
- Rector Jukka Mönkkönen, University of Eastern Finland
- Professor Hannu Savolainen, University of Jyväskylä
- Executive Vice President, Strategic Research Anne-Christine Ritschkoff, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd
- Professor Mika Rämet, University of Oulu
- Permanent Secretary Päivi Sillanaukee, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health
- Professor Lea Sistonen, Åbo Akademi University
Counsellor of Education Petteri Kauppinen from the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture was appointed as a permanent expert on the Committee.
The composition of the FIRI Committee largely follows the previous line-up (appointed in 2014), which contributes to ensuring a sufficient degree of continuity in the Committee’s activities. The new Committee was appointed keeping in mind the rotation of representatives from Finnish universities and research institutes.
- Vice President for Research Marja Makarow, tel. +358 295 335 002, firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi
Academy of Finland Communications
Riitta Tirronen, Director of Communications
tel. +358 295 335 118